Page 11 - GNWG_2017
P. 11

Leon Valley, TXLBy Linda Persyneon Valley, Texas is an incorporated city nine miles west of downtown San Antonio. Its population as of the last census wasover 10,000 and it sits on a major six lane highway, Bandera Road (State Hwy 16). It covers 3 1⁄2 not quite square miles and has a newly remodeled city hall, police and fire station. Its fire and police are outstanding in serving the community. Named for the Leon Creek, which runs through it and the mountain lions which roamed the creek, the other tributary is Huebner Creek. City maintenance is second to none and the Leon Valley Public Library has just completed an expansion that includes a children’s wing and meeting room. It provides a Community Center where senior citizens meet daily for exercise, card games and meals. The community center is available for large meeting and wedding receptions. A smaller venue is our Conference Center, also available for rentals at our city hall.In 1952, a small but mighty band of citizens heard rumors the City of San Antonio wanting to make this area part of the City of San Antonio. Still a mostly rural and agrarian community, these fine people did not want to lose their identity to a larger city. Stephen F Austin, a descendant of the father of Texas, owned the Seneca Country Club and other land and formed a committee using the legal skills of another resident, Judge John F. (Pete) Onion. A city charter was drawn up naming the city Leon Valley. Borders were defined and the required signatures were obtained. The paperwork was submitted to the State of Texas and a provisional status was granted. The terms stated the city would be a General Law city with council members and mayor elected at large. One year later, a review was done for final status as a small city. Errors were found and another midnight ride of the committee was made to get the right amount of citizens per square mile as state law required. One border went right down the middle of Evers Road in order to accomplish the task. Over the years, the City of Leon Valley and the city of San Antonio swapped some land in the extra territorial jurisdiction to arrive at the borders of today’s Leon Valley.Leon Valley has historic beginnings. Joseph Huebner was an Austrian emigrant who came to San Antonio from his homeland with the dream of most Europeans, land ownership. He worked as a silversmith, watch repairman and jeweler in downtown San Antonio. In 1858, he purchased one half of the Feliz Losoya Land Grant. Huebner eventually acquired over 900 acres, or most all of what is now Leon Valley. His homestead became a stagecoach stop and overnight stay when the creeks were flooded. The historic limestone homestead, stacked stone barn and detached cookhouse still stand on Bandera Road. Huebner is buried across the creek that bears his name. The stagecoach stop has a Texas State Historical Marker and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Huebner Road bears his name and a 1922 map identifies the area as Huebner Settlement.On Huebner Road are two grain silos that stand as a monument and the memory of Leon Valley’s dairies and ranches. Over half of its citizens are served by two wells of the highest rank of waterHuebner Onion Stage Coach StopLeon Valley first business, Dietsch Grocery 1932.purity. Raymond Rimkus Park is 57 acres which boasts playground, soccer field, tennis courts and a 36 acre natural area. From such humble beginnings, the city has grown to a well-developed and much loved community that serves its citizens well.For more information on the City of Leon Valley and its amenities, please contact our city hall at 210-684-1391.For more history on the city, please contact the Leon Valley Library Archives at 210-684-0720 or Linda Persyn, Research Chair for Historical Society of Leon Valley at 210-684-2770.Paula’s Cafe on the southside of Bandera Road 1940-1950.Rimkus Store 1944Mandry’s Hardware located at the corner of Bandera & Poss Road.2017-2018www.GreatNWGuide.com11Historical

   9   10   11   12   13